Newcastle Health Innovation partners has outstanding patient care and world-class expertise in research, education and clinical practice. This is illustrated by:
Outstanding Patient Care
Both our NHS Trust partners were rated by the care Quality Commission as Outstanding:
- Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is rated “Outstanding” by Care Quality Commission (CQC) in 2016 and 2019.
- Ranked 1st in the country for open NIHR portfolio research studies for seven successive years (2011- 18).
- Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust (CNTW) rated “Outstanding” twice by CQC (2016 and 2018).
- Ranked 3rd among Mental Health Trusts for patient recruitment to NIHR studies and 5th for volume of research studies (2018/19).Newcastle.
- Newcastle Hospitals coordinated three of 24 European Reference Networks in Rare Disease (liver disease, immune disorders, neuromuscular disease), the only NHS Trust to lead more than one.
- Newcastle University was 4th in the UK for Research Intensity in Clinical Medicine (REF 2014).
- Newcastle University hosts Europe’s largest concentration of ageing-related interdisciplinary researchers and leads national centres of excellence in ageing research: NIHR Biomedical Research Centre, Alzheimer’s Society Dementia Care, NIHR School for Public Health Research.
It co-leads a National Policy Research Unit for Older People and hosts National Innovation Centres in Ageing and Data.
- It Leads the NIHR Policy Research Unit in Behavioural Science to inform government policy on health, preventing ill-health and health systems.
- It is the only partnership outside the “Golden Triangle” to have hosted an NIHR Biomedical Research Centre since 2007 and top 10-ranked in MRC Translational Research report for “directed translational award funding” (2008-2018), with particular strengths in MRC Stratified Medicine Consortia.
- Newcastle University hosts the research lead for Public Health England’s National Congenital Anomaly and Rare Diseases Registration Service.
- Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust host the Regional NIHR Applied Research Collaboration, with national leadership on prevention and inequalities.
- Newcastle University holds a Gold Teaching Excellence Framework award for consistent delivery of outstanding teaching and student outcomes.
- Our region ranks 1st in UK in 17 of 18 domains in the GMC National Training Survey.
- NU rank 1st in Russell group for Undergraduate Dentistry (NSS 2019), with 96% overall satisfaction in Postgraduate Programmes (PTES 2019).
- 2018/19 National Student Survey results contributed to 4th place in Guardian League Table (Pharmacy and Pharmacology), with 92% overall course satisfaction.
- Health professionals studying our Postgraduate Clinical Research Programme report 100% overall satisfaction (PTES 2019).
- NHIP is widely perceived to be a UK-leader in clinical academic career development, evidenced by:
- Hosting the NIHR National Training Dean.
- The Newcastle model of cross-professional integration of training support through a Clinical Academic Office was adopted by the NIHR Academy.
- Developed the model, now used nationally, for Academic Clinical Fellows and Lecturers, creating the first UK Academic Foundation Programme.
- Hosting the developing NIHR Incubator in Clinical Education.
- Highly developed Non-Medical Allied Health Professional Research Development.